Thursday, September 6, 2018

Benjamin Moore Scuff-X vs the competitor

Benjamin Moore Scuff-X vs the competitors pre cat epoxy

A head to head match up

It was a lazy afternoon in our office and as I was cleaning out a few things it popped through my head to show everyone else what we already knew about Scuff-X  in the office and some of our commercial clients know.

So I pulled out the competitors pre-cat epoxy water-based formula and grabbed a gallon of Scuff-X. For those who don't know Scuff-X is a single component paint that resists scuffs before they start.

Time to paint


I went over to a wall I had already primed and has two coats of flat paint on it and marked out the walls into two square sections and applied two coats to each square with each paint and let dry for hours.

Hiding and coverage


Once that was done I removed the tape and here is where the amazing results start. The first thing is the hiding and coverage of Scuff-X were clearly better than the pre cat, we use a lot of pre cat and trust me we know the coverage and hiding issues it has with most colors. I used the same roller cover for each a 4inch by half inch sleeve from MAB we had lying around the shop.


The Real Test

Here is where Scuff-X shines, I took a plastic spackle knife and ran it across each surface multiple times, there were NO marks on the Scuff-X, in fact, I damaged the drywall with marks and not the paint. The pre-cat side was a mess, marks all over. I then took my sneaker which if you have kids at home or in a mudroom know these create a million marks. I ran it across each side and again the pre-cat failed miserably. I was lucky enough to use this when it first came out in my basement stairwell as a test before we used it on any clients projects and we have ZERO marks.

Impressive

If you have a commercial or high use area such as a doctors office, waiting room, gym or any other space I highly recommend this product, it will certainly save on repainting costs down the road.
here is the actual video from these tests


No comments:

Post a Comment