Thursday, June 28, 2018

How to take the pain out of getting a painting estimate

How to take the pain out of getting a painting estimate.

Let's face we all need painting at one time or another, that wood outside is rotting, the deck needs staining and the siding needs freshening up. Or perhaps you're having a graduation or birthday party and the interior hasn't been freshened up in ten years.
This is where we come in but if you're like me and have had to call around to get estimates you know as well as I do you can call ten people and maybe two call you back if you're lucky.

So what are you supposed to do? For one, don't forget who didn't return your calls in a timely manner, when I say timely please give people a reasonable amount of time to return a call, this for me is 48 hours, if I don't receive a call back typically I will move on. 

I had to get some work done around my home and we called numerous other contractors for things we do not do and trust me it was hard to get anyone to return calls, show up or give a price. So when you find someone who gives you great communication now wouldn't be the time to attempt to get them to lower their price.

When I find someone who can service me, of course, I look at the price, however, I do keep in mind, do I really want to go through this estimating process two more times? I may end up with someone who I regret hiring and I already have a proven contractor I have worked with and trust.

I am probably one of the easiest clients a contractor will have, I let them do their work, I don't micromanage them at all and I don't shop around. If I trust you, you were referred or have done work for me before that's all I need. You have a customer for life.
Now, will people make mistakes along the way? Sure they will, but when they do you let them correct them. I had a driveway company reseal our blacktop and they sprayed it all over the garage doors, I tried to get it off that morning but none of my cleaners would work, so I didn't yell or scream at anyone, it was a mistake, I emailed and asked what I can use to get it off. No one ever answered but when I arrived home it was already done. That is impressive to me, I would recommend them to anyone even after a mistake.

SO long story short, when you find someone you trust and they deliver, what's the sense of dragging out the estimate process? be open and honest about your budget, remember you trust them enough to come into your home, you can certainly trust them enough to have a real conversation about the budget.


No comments:

Post a Comment