Friday, December 28, 2018

I love you so much now get away from me

I love you so much now get away from me.


I have always loved watching people and when I say I love it, I will sit in the mall or at the store and watch people go in and out, have conversations and watch them interact with each other. I believe this is why I am usually a good judge of character and can see through the bs that some people live their lives with.

This is also, however, one reason I don't give a lot of my time to too many people, the salespeople, the time stealers, the people who just don't bring any value to a daily life, you know who these people are, we are all that person at one time or another. The salesperson who shows up unannounced or calls and says, can we meet for a bit? Anyone who knows me knows that won't fly and here are some of the rules that are not negotiable.


  • If you call, leave a message and exactly what you want. If you just say call back you will be waiting a long time. Let me determine if it really needs a callback and if I am the one best fit to handle the issue
  • Meetings, I hate them, I rarely do them and when we do they are quick and hopefully you get your point across quick or I will stop listening halfway through, it's best to send me all your thoughts and let me go through them on my time.

The cc


Don't cc me in with other peoples emails, they are in positions to handle their business, the cc is just an aggressive way to let someone know I sent this to your boss as well, I delete and block cc'rs

These may seem harsh but remember it's your life, don't let people steal your time, it's valuable

Back to people watching

Now back to people watching, being in business I get to see the best and worst in people and generally everyone is great and were honored to work for them and get to meet their families and we all become friends. Then there are the others who make you think "why did I go in business"  and you must be a horrible person and can do nothing right.

Those people are few and far between but anyone in business knows they can come at any given moment, you know the ones.
  • The treat your staff horrible
  • Find things to complain about that are not there
  • Didn't take the time to read the agreement they signed
  • Don't live up to the things they need to do on their end and blame you.
But what's most interesting about these people is for us about 75% still call us back for more work?
We make a list each year of these people who we just will not work for, it'snot worth the aggravation to our staff and painters to have to endure a week or more with them.
I am not referring by the way to projects that we make mistakes on, those things do happen, no one is perfect. Anyone who has worked with us even if they have a complaint will say they came back and corrected things.

Not just our business

  • These people are not just in our business, I see someone upset and yelling in the CVS I go to almost anytime I go there, someone is always upset and sometimes just having to wait their turn.

  • At the store in the morning, people get upset their food isn't ready in time or correct or someone pulls out in front of them or any other hundreds of things.

  • Take a breath, it's not worth getting upset about, you cannot believe that person at CVS wakes up each day thinking "I can't wait to make people wait for half an hour and yell at me when they get up to the register"
So when you see me out and about most of the time I am watching everyone else, be nice to each other, be kind, respectful and helpful. It goes a long way.


No comments:

Post a Comment